Jul 26, 2014

Terrior

I thought of cutting my limbs
to see the rings of my age
for proof that the weight I feel
is of many lifetimes beyond the one I know.
I wanted to see the fire of wars
and drought of my seasons
scarred in fibrous circles
surrounding my bones,
plotting a history of moments
made of breath and growth
in a thick skin.

I thought of peeling back my layers
to see the scaffolding of my ancestors
around which my form is molded.
I wanted to find each face of my origin
become more evident
as I slough translucence
from the surface where I finally find
the first one of us within me,
hair darker and yes wider
than my diluted image.

I thought of drinking by blood
to taste the sun-dried soil fed through my veins
from earth I never touched but crave
to sift through my fingers
I wanted to detect hints
of residual pencil shavings and tobacco
from writers and smokers of my bloodline
that are concentrated in me
and seem to linger like the finish on a Cabernet

No comments: